Sunday, February 7, 2021

Native America

 I promised some time ago to put up the first five lectures of my U.S. History course, in which I don't introduce Europeans until the end of Week Two and instead give an overview of Native America, history and culture. It is my firm belief that you cannot understand U.S. history without a basic understanding of indigenous American thought, because with only one perspective you don't really understand what's going on (kind of like the European colonists).

Here they are!

Part 1: The First Americans

Part 2: Native Culture

Part 3: Native family and gender

Part 4: Native Spirituality

Part 5: Native Style of Leadership


You might also enjoy my ten-part blog series "Writing about Indians When You're Not One," my four entries on American Indian Law, and my reviews of indigenous-centric comics books all of which can be accessed HERE

Troy D. Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment