Monday, October 26, 2020

Respectability and the Market Revolution

 

Troy D. Smith


As I look at my blog I see I have not posted here since January of this year (2020)... a sad poem about rain, which was an appropriate way to usher in this year, as it turned out. 2020 has brought me more than the usual helping of tragedy, between the death of my younger brother, a painful physical injury that required a lengthy recuperation, and more. The one impact that we all shared, and is most responsible for my absence from blogging, has been Covid-19. Since March, most of my time has been spent producing lecture videos to take the place of my live teaching.

You can see some of these at my youtube channel, ProfTroySmith.

However, I thought I would share this three-part (2 hour) lecture here, in large part because some of my former students from Uni High in Urbana, IL might enjoy seeing me try (in my limited way) to explain  my mentor Bill Sutton's Wheel of Respectability. That happens in the second of these three videos.

The videos are titles for their sequence in my Environmental History Class, though they do triple duty (in the Westward Expansion and basic U.S. history classes).

A lot of this is stuff that history buffs (or professional historians) might know, but it might be some new ideas for the lay reader. I hope you enjoy.

Part One: The Market Revolution

Part Two: The Rise of Respectability

Part Three: Respectability, Romanticism, and the Frontier




5 comments:

  1. Si vous avez besoin d'embaucher un véritable hacker pour surveiller / pirater à distance le téléphone de votre partenaire, récupérer votre bitcoin volé / toute autre crypto-monnaie ou pirater une base de données avec une confidentialité garantie, contactez easybinarysolutions@gmail.com ou whatsapp: +1 3478577580, ils sont efficaces et confidentiel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been removing all spam from my blogs, but I am keeping this one to serve as a reminder that "base de donnees" means "database," which I did not previously know. Merci, maitre de spam.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Troy. I hope it’s a better one than last year And that get to write and publish some fiction this year. And above all, stay healthy.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Troy. I hope it’s a better one than last year And that get to write and publish some fiction this year. And above all, stay healthy.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amelia here and I want to utilize this platform to warn everyone about  Bitcoin scams. I was struggling financially a few months ago before a friend of mine gave me the name of a highly reputable company where I was assisted in recovering my stolen BTC. I accidentally transacted with a fake company, which led to my involvement in BTC investment fraud. I attempted to invest in Bitcoin, and I was conned out of $772,000. All thanks to Spyware Cyber, A BTC-focused private registered business, I recovered my money. It is advisable to invest in BTC because it will surely be the money of the near future. I was able to regain my lost funds with the aid of Spyware Cyber, and as a result, I now have a sound investment strategy in place. I particularly appreciate the concept of investing in the future. Contact them with the information below.

    Email: Contact@cybegal.com  
    Email: Spyware@cybergal.com
    WhatsApp: +19892640381

    ReplyDelete