Monday, May 23, 2011

Champ Ferguson, Confederate Guerrilla

Here is a link to an article I wrote a few years ago, in Civil War Times Illustrated, about the famous (and infamous) guerrilla who operated out of my hometown of Sparta, Tennessee. Note that there is a typo in the very first sentence (that has always driven me crazy): it should say 40-year-old, not 20-year-old. I later wrote a novel about Ferguson, Good Rebel Soil, which is due to be re-released soon by Western Trailblazer.
NOTE: the book is now available as an ebook, at this location .

http://www.historynet.com/champ-ferguson-an-american-civil-war-rebel-guerrilla.htm

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting. My great great grandfather was Confederate Lieutenant George W. Finley, noted for his role at Ghettysburg, and the journals and letters he wrote of the battle as he was one of the few Confederates to survive to tell the tale. He surrendered for his company on Cemetery Ridge being the highest ranking officer left standing. Spent many months in hideous internment camps and only survived because a kind lady petitioned then General Grant to allow her to nurse Finley back to health. After he returned to his home in Virginia, he and his wife named their next daughter Cora after this woman. I descend from Cora's line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating, Beth! I have several Confederate ancestors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm named after and related to champ Ferguson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm named after and related to champ Ferguson

    ReplyDelete