Friday, February 17, 2023

A Brief Overview of Indigenous Culture

 


In several of my classes, it is necessary early on to explain some basics about indigenous culture. This is true in early U.S. history, all my various American Indian Studies classes, Westward Expansion, and Environmental History. I give the same basic introductory cultural lecture in all of them- it is about 2 hour and 45 minutes of me explaining several things that most Native cultures have in common. Every nation and tribe is different, but just as there are some cultural things that make both French and Norwegians European despite their many differences, the same is true for Apaches and Seminoles.
During the first months of Covid, I wound up recording that lecture series (in five sections) on Youtube, to use in all those classes. I thought I'd post the links here so as to more easily direct people to them.





No comments:

Post a Comment