Saturday, May 20, 2023

A Liberal Dose, May 18, 2023 "The Difference Between a Column and a Classroom"

 


A Liberal Dose

May 18, 2023

Troy D. Smith

“The difference between a column and a classroom”

 

A couple of months ago, an old classmate of mine made a comment on the online version of my column at Spartalive that I wanted to talk about this week. Here’s what they had to say:

“Every week you sit down to brow beat the right. It doesn’t matter what is happening in this country, you find a way to blame the right, the right leaning left, anyone that doesn’t absolutely believe the exact same way you do. You say you’re a historian. You’re a professor at Tech. Why not just teach down the center and stop telling the young adults your opinions about how the right screwed this country up. As long as some are determined to keep the hate going, there will never be any peace.”

There are several points there that I feel it is important for me to address. First, I was asked to write this column as a way to provide a counter-balance to the conservative columnists who were contributing to the paper at that time. The whole point, as evidenced by the subtitle “A Liberal Dose”, is to give a perspective from the left. Therefore, it should not come as a surprise, or be viewed as a negative, when that is what I do.

Second, while I often have strong opinions, I think it is unfair to characterize my column as a constant, vicious attack on the right. I have often endeavored to be even-handed, to try to understand the other side’s feelings, and to present verifiable facts rather than a torrent of emotional bromides. Far from trying to “keep the hate going,” I’d say the most common theme I’ve written about the past two years has been to call for an end to hate and violence and to communicate with one another.

Third, and most important, I am disturbed by these remarks: “You say you’re a historian. You’re a professor at Tech. Why not just teach down the center and stop telling the young adults your opinions about how the right screwed this country up.” Never having been in my classes, how do you have any idea how I teach them?

This column is me stating my opinions as a private citizen, exercising my freedom of speech. I do so with a historical slant, offering context, but it is not the same thing as teaching a class, nor would I use the same techniques to do so. In these columns I have 650 words -in my classes I have an hour, for forty-five total hours in a semester. That gives me plenty of time to present all sides, which I do. In twelve years of receiving student evaluations at the end of every course, there have only been one or two students -out of probably a couple of thousand in that time -who’ve said they thought I was biased. I’d estimate at least a hundred have said the opposite. Just this week I received this anonymous evaluation from a student: “He teaches this class in a way his students can grasp the content of the class but develop their own opinions.”

Here’s why that distinction is so important to me. There are legislators in this state, and other red states, who are passing laws about how history teachers can teach -when they have not been in their classrooms and have no idea what happens there, or how. I have been telling legislators for years that they need to get out of teachers’ way and let them do their jobs, and inviting them to come to my classroom to see for themselves how I do mine. No one has taken me up on it.

It reminds me of a phenomenon I mentioned last week. My conservative friends often get mad, not at what I say, but at what they have prejudged I was going to say or what it was going to mean.

--Troy D. Smith, a White County native, is a novelist and a history professor at Tennessee Tech. His words do not necessarily represent TTU.


You can find all previous entries in this weekly column HERE

A list of other historical essays that have appeared on this blog can be found HERE

Author's website: www.troyduanesmith.com

The author's historical lectures on youtube can be found HERE

 


No comments:

Post a Comment